lissylaine

Lissylaine Reads

I've loved books and reading ever since I can remember and my great-grandmother read "Miss Suzy" to me over and over again. My tastes change over time, but tend toward paranormal romance, thrillers and mysteries, science fiction, some fantasy and urban fantasy, YA, and dystopia to name a few.

Queen of Shadows
Sarah J. Maas
Seams Unlikely: The Inspiring True Life Story of Nancy Zieman
Marjorie L Russell, Nancy Zieman
Progress: 50 %
Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood
J.R. Ward
Progress: 21 %
Awakened - Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast I liked the story. True, I didn't love everything that happened, and didn't think I would. P.C. can be brutal to her characters. But I like how she expands the mythology in each successive book.

However, I must take exception with her trying to prepare me for the shocks to come (don't tell me that you're going to tell me the rest of the story, just TELL it). For example, "In the days that followed, she would remember her grin and wish she could hold on to the image of ..." Once, maybe, but multiple times throughout the story? "His last thought before everything went wrong was, I've never been this happy in my life..." Okay, I get it - things are going to be bad. I actually expect this with the series I'm reading. Don't warn me, just tell the story. I'll figure it out.